The bill, which was passed by state lawmakers in May, will go into effect January 1, 2021. At that point, the sale or distribution of over-the-counter sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, which help filter UV rays, will be prohibited(5).
What sunscreens are allowed in Australia?
Sunscreens sold in Australia must be labelled with an SPF of at least 4 to the highest rating of 50+. SunSmart recommends choosing a sunscreen labelled SPF30 or higher that is also broad-spectrum (will filter out both types of UV radiation) and water-resistant.
Where is chemical sunscreen banned?
David Ige signed Senate Bill 2571 into law, making Hawaii the first place in the world to ban “the sale, offer of sale, and distribution of sunscreens that contain the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate” after many studies showed that those two chemicals cause genetic damage to marine life, including coral reefs.
Which sunscreens are banned?
Hawaii has banned the sale of sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate because they are toxic to coral and other marine life. The FDA also is looking at limiting sun-protection factor, or SPF, claims to “60+,” noting that higher SPF numbers don’t provide proportionately greater protection.
Is oxybenzone banned in Australia?
Professor Aranda said Australia was already moving towards eliminating the chemicals from sunscreens. Cancer Council products no longer contain oxybenzone, which is related to allergies, and it is phasing out octinoxate.
Why are some sunscreens not available in Australia?
Regulation Of Sunscreen In Australia
Makeupis excluded. The TGA requires that in order to be sold in Australia, sunscreen products be tested to determine their SPF, which is printed on the label. Only approved ingredients can be included in sunscreens, and each of these ingredients has been assessed for safety.
What is the best sunscreen to use in Australia?
The best sunscreens in Australia
- Best overall sunscreen: La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Wet Skin SPF50+
- Best budget sunscreen: Nivea Sun SPF 50+ Protect & Moisture Moisturising Lotion.
- Best physical/mineral sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face & Body Sunscreen Lotion SPF50.
What are the worst sunscreens?
Most Toxic Sunscreens to Avoid
- Walgreens Dry Touch Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100.
- Panama Jack Sunscreen Continuous Spray, SPF 100.
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 85+
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100+
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray, SPF 100+
What sunscreen ingredients should be avoided?
The science on ingredient toxicity
- Oxybenzone. The most worrisome sunscreen active ingredient is oxybenzone, according to publicly available scientific research. …
- Octinoxate (Octyl methoxycinnamate) …
- Homosalate. …
- Octisalate. …
- Octocrylene. …
- Avobenzone. …
- Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. …
- Other active ingredients.
Why is Palau sunscreen banned?
The Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country to ban sun cream that is harmful to corals and sea life. … The International Coral Reef Foundation said the banned chemicals were “known environmental pollutants – most of them are… incredibly toxic to juvenile stages of many wildlife species”.
What sunscreens do not contain oxybenzone?
Should you avoid oxybenzone?
- Sheer Zinc Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50. …
- Sensitive Skin Sunscreen SPF 30+ …
- Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen SPF 50. …
- UV Pure Face and Body Physical Sunscreen SPF 47. …
- Eryfotona Actinica Ultralight Emulsion SPF 50+
Is Neutrogena sunscreen reef safe?
This is one of the popular Neutrogena sunscreen products. And it’s made from one of the “alternative” sunscreen ingredients of zinc oxide… So that means it must be reef-safe… … In the case of this Neutrogena sheer zinc sunscreen, it does NOT contain oxybenzone OR octinoxate.
Is Australian Gold sunscreen reef safe?
Best of all, this multi benefit product will now be offered in multiple shades to match even more skin tones: Fair to Light, Medium to Tan, and Rich to Deep. All formulas have been approved by the National Eczema Association, and are Fragrance Free, Hypoallergenic, Dermatologist Tested, and Reef Friendly.
Is Coles sunscreen reef safe?
It is a local made reef safe sunscreen in Australia and an excellent reef safe choice of lower strength sunscreen. So, unfortunately, Coles and Woolworth’s do not stock any of these brands, but health stores and chemist warehouse do have these options available to keep our oceans safe this summer!
Which country recently banned reef toxic sunscreen?
The Government of Thailand recently banned the use of sunscreen in all marine national parks in the country to contain coral-damaging chemicals.